SOL: in the doghouse
My dog is in the doghouse. Both literally and figuratively.
She's been doing pretty well hanging out in the backyard by herself. There haven't been any casualties that weren't our fault (for leaving chewable things within reach).
Yesterday, she learned to "stay." And today, she learned to destroy trees.
I don't know what they did to her, but Jazz was determined to take out our trees. She chewed several branches off. I hate being mad at the dog, but this is not good.
So how do you keep a dog from chewing on things she shouldn't chew? She has a big bone and several toys. We're taking advice and suggestions.

They sell a spray that you can use to keep her from the things she shouldn't chew. You might want to call your vet and ask as well. Chewing is what some do when they are young, bored, stressed...so your vet can help you figure it out. Good luck...our chocolate lab destroyed 16 pairs of shoes and countless toys when she was a pup. I feel for you!
ReplyDeleteOh man...I have no dog (haven't since I was a kid) so am of no help whatsoever. Rats...
ReplyDeleteGood luck!
Maybe put a small fence around each tree - something made from 2 x 4 wire or chicken mesh - just enough that she couldn't get to the trees. Once she is older, you would be able to take it down.
ReplyDeleteI think that Susan's idea is a great one. I'm guessing you have young trees, so at this point, your best bet is to replace the chewing option of trees with something else. How old is Jazz? Is she teething? I'm going to refer this link to you, but since the problem item is trees it won't be as helpful, but still some of the thoughts mentioned may be of some assistance.
ReplyDeletehttp://www.cesarsway.com/tips/problembehaviors/5-Steps-to-Save-Your-Shoes-from-Your-Chewing-Canine