SOL: flashback
Not quite a year ago (on the 21st), I posted this:
School resumes tomorrow. The past week has been a refuge, a place in time for me to forget the uncertainties and the stress, from all facets of my life, that surround and overwhelm me right now. I originally wrote this on 4/4/08, when I struggled to find the "perfect ending" to my first real job search (edited it today). I thought I had. Time will tell.
(p.s. just so you know. putting what i write - that which reveals a "private" part of me - out there in the great big world makes me feel really vulnerable. i feel like i should be a much better writer than this. that's why i don't do this poetry post thing very often.)
Simple tasks fall by the wayside
as I wait
to hear any news
(good or bad).
I pause in moments of
gathering doom
and tears
(of frustration, anger, hurt, confusion)
slip silently down my face.
I hold my breath in moments
of unbearable hope
and dream
(of the perfect endings).
But still I wait.
*mk
This year, I am not waiting. I'm fairly confident that, this time around, my job is safe. (Of course, who can ever say for certain what the future holds?)
This week of spring break will still be a refuge, a relief from the stresses of balancing two buildings and maintaining relationships and learning a new grade level and 11-hour days. It will be a week without work (I made sure of that before I left yesterday). It will be a week of doing almost only what I want, investing time in people I care about, sleeping late, completing projects, purging, relaxing.
Oh, spring break, welcome. I've been waiting.

Wow, Megan. Whether you see it or not, your poem is incredible. I absoluetly LOVE the idea of the parentheses. To use them in a way to share other information that is important, but in a way that it creates a side-note kind of feel. I read this over and over. If you read it without the words in parentheses it's just not the same tone. I am definitely going to add this to my list of "to do's" to try out. Awesome!
ReplyDeleteI too liked the way the parentheses added so much to the feelings you wanted to communicate. You have showed us the feelings so well, of the biggest 'pause' & 'holding breath' when something so important has not become apparent-yet. Thank you for sharing your thoughts so beautifully.
ReplyDeleteI love the fact that you went back to an old post and let it inspire your new post. And I love the poem you write last year. I hope your spring break is wonderful!
ReplyDelete