SOL: 100%

Today, my last student finished the last part of the state reading assessment. For the first time in my teaching career, 100% of my sixth and seventh graders passed - they met standards, exceeded standards, or were exemplary.

I have mixed feelings. I am proud, that they used their good test-taking strategies, that they learned this year, that I taught them something.

I am disappointed, that this is what my job is, that the climax of our time together is an 80-question, multiple choice test, that I feel my worth as a teacher depends - at least in part - on these results. 

Is what I taught them what they need to know? I teach several things that I never learned - and yet I managed to graduate with an English degree. I teach them to use their striker to eliminate answer choices, to highlight key words... I teach them how to identify similes and metaphors, to find the climax, to unveil the author's position and how its supported, the definitions of their prefixes and suffixes.

But do I teach them logical thinking? how to decipher similes and metaphors? how to pick apart the definitions of words, based on the prefixes and suffixes - without four answer choices? why the climax is important? to interact with stories? to monitor their comprehension? how to judge the author's support of his or her position? to see how wonderful reading really is? how to think for themselves? how to respect each other?

I struggle. I want to be a great teacher. I have so far to go. I am already working on what to do differently next year... because that is what teachers do. Yes, I want them to pass their state assessment, to know what the state of Kansas says they should know. But I also want them to be able to become great thinkers, great people, great decision-makers - like so many teachers (both in school and in my personal life) have done for me. I hope I can manage to be a small part of who they become.

Comments

  1. Congratulations. Your kids did great, and that is because you did great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm positive you're a rock-star teacher. And I'm not even putting into the fact that your kids passed. You're a great teacher, and whether or not they pass is not reflected only by your teaching. The make up of the kid is 90% of it- in my opinion. So, don't get down about whether or not they learned something. You're a kind, compassionate, patient person... and they learned that this year from you. Give yourself credit for that! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bet you are an awesome teacher Megan! Just the fact that you are already thinking of things to improve upon, shows that you are!

    Oh, and you probably already know this but just in case you don't- the Grand Opening Sale for the new JoAnn's is the 24th-26th. And on Saturday teachers get 20% off!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Megan with your mind set and your passion I guarantee that your students are learning. Never lose quit reflecting on what you have done or your desire to improve. Your students are very lucky to have you as their English teacher.

    ReplyDelete
  5. One part of learning is finding the motivation to keep going, keep questioning. Sometimes one finds that by reflecting on accomplishment, & it seems that your students certainly can be proud of that, & you also! Maybe by reflecting on the experience & through discussions you can extend this trying testing experience into a more complex learning one?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by - please leave a comment to let me know you were here!

Popular posts from this blog

Lincoln says...

SOL: Caught

Give away!