SOL: hard


Sometimes, like yesterday, the words come easily. I think through what I want to say and somehow it appears in my text box. Not magic, I know, but things definitely flow better on certain days.

Other times, it's so hard to know what to write. This challenge is definitely a struggle on week nights - after a full day of teaching and a couple hours of track practice, my brain is close to shutting down. This is all before starting on homework for my grad class, of course (but that's an entirely different story of frustration right now).

And yet, I sit to write. I could pull out a second long lost poem (which I'm definitely inspired to do after all the amazing affirmation in the comments on my last post) or make another list.

But today I want to tell you about the little things.

I have a student who, to state things simply, has not enjoyed anything we've done all year - in any class, not just mine. We are starting a mythology unit. They have to research a Greek god or goddess and give a speech. This student is so excited. Apparently I connected with a passion.

Our keyboarding teacher is wonderful. In a few weeks, she will be teaching my sixth grade students how to format a research paper, so I don't have to. All year long, she gives kids real-world assignments. In December they make holiday cards for their teachers. Their last assignment was to write a formal letter to a teacher - any teacher. I received several in my box today, welcome little surprises.

Not bad for a Monday.

Any suggestions? What do you want to hear from me? Burning questions I should answer? ;)

Comments

  1. Megan--I just enjoy hearing your thoughts, even when they are about the struggle to write daily. I know a lot of us are hitting that wall as we close out the first week of the challenge. I think telling about the little things is what's fun for people. It sort of connects us somehow. After all, who doesn't like a peek into the lives of others? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just share yourself and your thoughts, that's what a slice is to me. Glad you had a good day, wish they could all be like that. Keep writing, and we'll keep reading!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by - please leave a comment to let me know you were here!

Popular posts from this blog

SOL: Caught

Give away!

Lincoln Jesse Kohlman: Birth Story