2012
Don't you just love a good list? I sure do.
I've never been one for New Year's Resolutions. Maybe it's because I feel like I'm setting myself up for failure. Or maybe it's because I'm lazy. It could be, perhaps, that I am easily distracted and change my mind. I might just be content with who I am and where I am in life.
Regardless, I just haven't ever really done it, except for when I gave up facebook. For a year, until I had to have it for class discussions in college.
So this year, instead of any resolutions I decided to make a list. I'm kind of a list person, in case you hadn't noticed. This is my list of goals for 2012. I know full well that there is a large chance that I won't accomplish all of these goals. But I might as well make the list so I have some purpose. And it will give me things to blog about.
Random story: at Zerger Christmas, the wife of one of my second cousins (complicated enough relationship for you?!) asked me how many kids I have that I blog about. Umm... none. So what do I blog about?! My house and dog and life in general. Pretty much random stuff that, some days, I can't believe anyone other than my Grandma is interested enough to read.
But my disbelief that you would want to read it does not negate my gratitude that you take time to.
So... that was pretty irrelevant. Back to the list. I even divided it into some handy categories. And now I'll explain some of it.
The Joys of Home Ownership
*completely finishchair rail and quarter round in DR/LR - after about 2.5 years of having hardwoods, we finally got all the trim pieces up. Now we need to punch in the nails and fill the holes. That's all.
*replace carpet in bedrooms - while this depends largely on our tax refund (yep, we're those people who go for the big check), we will have lived with dog-pee-stained carpet in the bedrooms for three years. While it is not nearly as bad as the living room's carpet was (see the link above), I never knew what I could live with until we bought this house. But, for various reasons, it's time for us to invent in some nice, soft, unstained carpet.
*refinish deck - it just needs a good sanding, rinsing, and a coat or two of stain/sealer... pretty sure this hasn't been done since its 1998 construction.
*paint exterior of house - this is probably one of the top five "least likely to happen" items on the list, but we're dreaming big this year. Brad thinks gray with white trim would look really good with our maroon bricks.
*paint master bedroom & bathroom - the day we moved in, our moms and my dad painted this room. Let's just say that I will never again paint a room without trying samples on the wall for a few days. In my bedroom beige isn't supposed to have a pink tint. The bathroom is the only room in the house that still hasn't been painted.
Creativity
*strip organ stool - After working on this off and on all last summer, I can safely say that this is the #1 "least likely to happen" item. But hey... might as well throw it on here.
*recover rocking chair (& finish replaced rocker?) - I love the fact that I have my great-great-grandmother's rocking chair. Heck... I love the fact that it's still in one piece, regardless of who has it. But the burlap-esque seat cover just isn't my style. I found the perfect fabric to recover it... but $50/yard is a little over my budget. I'll keep looking. It has had one of the rockers replaced, so I might try to stain it to match the rest of the rocker. Or maybe not.
*take pictures of downtown Augusta in the evening (need to re-do since they were lost in computer issues of July 2011) - I did this last year. It was fun. But then they were lost in cyberspace.
*have a booth at the church craft bazaar (November 2012) - again... top 5 "least likely to happen." I'm just not sure people want to buy what I have to sell, for profitable prices. Maybe it's worth a shot, anyway?
*handmade Christmas 2012 - I've already started a list of what to make for whom. ;)
Organized-ness
*sort/purge what college papers are left - I probably no longer need my entire English Education portfolio. Right?!
*clear more clutter - "spring and fall cleaning" - I like getting rid of stuff. Especially if I can sell it on craigslist.
Other
*graduate - aka finish my MLS (December 2012) - This one is pretty much beyond my control. I can finish IF the classes I need to take are offered in the fall. Otherwise, it's May for me. Ugh...
*practice piano consistently: learn one song per nine weeks (during school year), one song per month (summer)
*re-read Flannery O'Connor - I don't know why this popped into my head. It just did, so I decided to honor that thought.
*make our own laundry detergent and all-purpose cleaner - the laundry detergent is actually slated for this weekend. I'll keep you posted. Ha.
So there you have it. My long personal list of goals for 2012, complete with explanations you neither wanted nor needed. Congrats on making it through the whole post... If I had one, I'd promise a prize. Maybe next time.
What are your goals and resolutions?
I've never been one for New Year's Resolutions. Maybe it's because I feel like I'm setting myself up for failure. Or maybe it's because I'm lazy. It could be, perhaps, that I am easily distracted and change my mind. I might just be content with who I am and where I am in life.
Regardless, I just haven't ever really done it, except for when I gave up facebook. For a year, until I had to have it for class discussions in college.
So this year, instead of any resolutions I decided to make a list. I'm kind of a list person, in case you hadn't noticed. This is my list of goals for 2012. I know full well that there is a large chance that I won't accomplish all of these goals. But I might as well make the list so I have some purpose. And it will give me things to blog about.
Random story: at Zerger Christmas, the wife of one of my second cousins (complicated enough relationship for you?!) asked me how many kids I have that I blog about. Umm... none. So what do I blog about?! My house and dog and life in general. Pretty much random stuff that, some days, I can't believe anyone other than my Grandma is interested enough to read.
But my disbelief that you would want to read it does not negate my gratitude that you take time to.
So... that was pretty irrelevant. Back to the list. I even divided it into some handy categories. And now I'll explain some of it.
The Joys of Home Ownership
*completely finish
*replace carpet in bedrooms - while this depends largely on our tax refund (yep, we're those people who go for the big check), we will have lived with dog-pee-stained carpet in the bedrooms for three years. While it is not nearly as bad as the living room's carpet was (see the link above), I never knew what I could live with until we bought this house. But, for various reasons, it's time for us to invent in some nice, soft, unstained carpet.
*refinish deck - it just needs a good sanding, rinsing, and a coat or two of stain/sealer... pretty sure this hasn't been done since its 1998 construction.
*paint exterior of house - this is probably one of the top five "least likely to happen" items on the list, but we're dreaming big this year. Brad thinks gray with white trim would look really good with our maroon bricks.
*paint master bedroom & bathroom - the day we moved in, our moms and my dad painted this room. Let's just say that I will never again paint a room without trying samples on the wall for a few days. In my bedroom beige isn't supposed to have a pink tint. The bathroom is the only room in the house that still hasn't been painted.
Creativity
*strip organ stool - After working on this off and on all last summer, I can safely say that this is the #1 "least likely to happen" item. But hey... might as well throw it on here.
*recover rocking chair (& finish replaced rocker?) - I love the fact that I have my great-great-grandmother's rocking chair. Heck... I love the fact that it's still in one piece, regardless of who has it. But the burlap-esque seat cover just isn't my style. I found the perfect fabric to recover it... but $50/yard is a little over my budget. I'll keep looking. It has had one of the rockers replaced, so I might try to stain it to match the rest of the rocker. Or maybe not.
*take pictures of downtown Augusta in the evening (need to re-do since they were lost in computer issues of July 2011) - I did this last year. It was fun. But then they were lost in cyberspace.
*have a booth at the church craft bazaar (November 2012) - again... top 5 "least likely to happen." I'm just not sure people want to buy what I have to sell, for profitable prices. Maybe it's worth a shot, anyway?
*handmade Christmas 2012 - I've already started a list of what to make for whom. ;)
Organized-ness
*sort/purge what college papers are left - I probably no longer need my entire English Education portfolio. Right?!
*clear more clutter - "spring and fall cleaning" - I like getting rid of stuff. Especially if I can sell it on craigslist.
Other
*graduate - aka finish my MLS (December 2012) - This one is pretty much beyond my control. I can finish IF the classes I need to take are offered in the fall. Otherwise, it's May for me. Ugh...
*practice piano consistently: learn one song per nine weeks (during school year), one song per month (summer)
*re-read Flannery O'Connor - I don't know why this popped into my head. It just did, so I decided to honor that thought.
*make our own laundry detergent and all-purpose cleaner - the laundry detergent is actually slated for this weekend. I'll keep you posted. Ha.
So there you have it. My long personal list of goals for 2012, complete with explanations you neither wanted nor needed. Congrats on making it through the whole post... If I had one, I'd promise a prize. Maybe next time.
What are your goals and resolutions?
Comments
Post a Comment
Thanks for stopping by - please leave a comment to let me know you were here!