part two: Grandma's quilt

My other Christmas project this year was for my Grandma Lu.

When they sold their old house, I tried my best to help her rid her life of fabric scraps, with one goal in mind: make Grandma a quilt. She's made so many quilts and wall hangings for others, but she doesn't make many for herself, and not many have made them for her.

So, when I saw the piles and piles and boxes of fabric, I knew that it would be perfect: a scrappy quilt made for Grandma from her own scraps. (Little did I know that I barely made a dent, and she has a whole closet full of scraps in her new house.)

I enlisted the help of my family, sending them fabric to cut into squares. Everybody who received a package sent it back, in nice, neat sections. And, I would be remiss to not mention the fact that I kind of left it, mostly pieced, at my mom's house. She pretty much finished it, including the border and binding (inbetween which she found someone to machine quilt it, so that it would be finished for Christmas 2011, not Christmas 2020). But she said it was okay because she used to do the same thing to her mom. Somehow I doubt that.



Grandma's reaction...

It's so much fun to give people things you make. My goal for 2012: a handmade Christmas. We'll see... If anyone has great gift ideas for a wide range of recipients, let me know.

Comments

  1. Megan, that is SO neat!! I love your Grandma's reaction! Did you do all of the quilting?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Megan, that was so sweet of you! I bet she loves it. I cannot fathom making a quilt yet. It seems like such a huge endeavor. Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did not quilt it - it would be slated for Christmas 2020 if I had decided to. ;) My mom found someone to machine quilt it. And I honestly couldn't have done it without my mom's help. She really did most of the work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sweet! I love that you did that for your grandma! What a special and thoughtful gift! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your grandma's reaction! What a good idea!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks lovely. Great reaction from your Gma.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by - please leave a comment to let me know you were here!

Popular posts from this blog

SOL: Caught

Give away!

Lincoln Jesse Kohlman: Birth Story