One Done: Homemade Laundry Detergent
Yesterday we completed the first of my 2012 goals.
We made laundry detergent.
I got the recipe from Jamie; it's found at this website. But, it's so simple I'll post it here, too.
1 c. Borax
1 c. washing soda (I had to go to three stores to find this... it's in the laundry aisle; there was only Arm & Hammer brand)
1 c. grated soap (I used Ivory)
Stir well. Use 1 tablespoon per load.
We used it on a load of towels yesterday, and, by all appearances, it works great. (I wanted to use it on something that I didn't care if it got spots or anything, just to be safe for the first load.) We have an HE machine.
I didn't do a cost breakdown (maybe I will eventually), but I spend less than $10 on all the "ingredients." We made two batches and have enough of all three for at least one more. There's enough Borax and washing soda for several more.
This one is a definite success...
Sometime soon I want to make my own all-purpose cleaner and possibly even dishwasher soap.
We made laundry detergent.
I got the recipe from Jamie; it's found at this website. But, it's so simple I'll post it here, too.
1 c. Borax
1 c. washing soda (I had to go to three stores to find this... it's in the laundry aisle; there was only Arm & Hammer brand)
1 c. grated soap (I used Ivory)
Stir well. Use 1 tablespoon per load.
We used it on a load of towels yesterday, and, by all appearances, it works great. (I wanted to use it on something that I didn't care if it got spots or anything, just to be safe for the first load.) We have an HE machine.
I didn't do a cost breakdown (maybe I will eventually), but I spend less than $10 on all the "ingredients." We made two batches and have enough of all three for at least one more. There's enough Borax and washing soda for several more.
This one is a definite success...
Sometime soon I want to make my own all-purpose cleaner and possibly even dishwasher soap.
We have been using this for about a year and a half now. Love it! I use Fels Naptha bar laundry soap. It is 97 cents at Wal-Mart. It grates down to more than a cup but I use one bar for each batch. It says you can rub the bar on as a stain treater. We have also been using borax and baking soda in the dishwasher and I just bought stuff today to mix up our own spray cleaner. Sounds like great minds think alike!
ReplyDelete