requests
Today is a good day. A few issues at work from last week are getting resolved. I have actually been productive since I got home at 4:15; I am finally on top of things, master's-wise. (For now. I'd better not get too cocky.) Supper is in the crock pot.
And because of those last two things, I have a couple of requests.
1. What are your favorite crock pot meals? We need some suggestions because 1) we're getting stuck in a rut, meal-wise, and 2) I don't use the thing nearly enough.
Disclaimer: we like meals with meat in them and not a whole lot of unusual ingredients (and, yes, I know it's not that healthy to eat meat all the time... Brad has come a looooong way in the pickiness arena since we got married, but there's a limit to how far I can push things).
2. There may not be many of you who can answer this question, but I know at least a couple can (Hi, Jody and Jill!). I'm taking a children's literature class this semester. Well, technically it's "Information Resources & Programs for Children." Part of the class is a children's literature update, which is basically an annotated bibliography of books published since 2007. I need suggestions. The public library catalog is not very helpful in dialing down by genre, date, and age group. I have specific categories, so... yeah. If you have any ideas for what to read (the categories are: Picture Books & Poetry, Folklore & Fantasy, Historical Fiction, Info/Non-fiction & Biography, Multicultural & Graphic Novels), please comment. The targeted age group is 12 and under. I know lots of great books in the young adult category, but not really much below. So if you have suggestions of books or authors, please, please, please let me know!
And because of those last two things, I have a couple of requests.
1. What are your favorite crock pot meals? We need some suggestions because 1) we're getting stuck in a rut, meal-wise, and 2) I don't use the thing nearly enough.
Disclaimer: we like meals with meat in them and not a whole lot of unusual ingredients (and, yes, I know it's not that healthy to eat meat all the time... Brad has come a looooong way in the pickiness arena since we got married, but there's a limit to how far I can push things).
2. There may not be many of you who can answer this question, but I know at least a couple can (Hi, Jody and Jill!). I'm taking a children's literature class this semester. Well, technically it's "Information Resources & Programs for Children." Part of the class is a children's literature update, which is basically an annotated bibliography of books published since 2007. I need suggestions. The public library catalog is not very helpful in dialing down by genre, date, and age group. I have specific categories, so... yeah. If you have any ideas for what to read (the categories are: Picture Books & Poetry, Folklore & Fantasy, Historical Fiction, Info/Non-fiction & Biography, Multicultural & Graphic Novels), please comment. The targeted age group is 12 and under. I know lots of great books in the young adult category, but not really much below. So if you have suggestions of books or authors, please, please, please let me know!
BBQ pork sandwiches
ReplyDeletepork loin roast
1 can cola
some BBQ sauce
Cook on low all day or on high about 5 hours. Drain liquid off and shred meat with 2 forks. Back in the crock pot on low for another hour with as much BBQ sauce as you like. YUM and EASY!
Last time I used diet Dr. Pepper because that's what we had. Doesn't appear to matter what pop you use. I serve it on whatever buns we have around or open faced on bread. I usually serve it with baked potato fries or sweet potato fries and some kind of salad.
I'll try to get a list of books our kids love for you. We read LOTS of books. Rhett will be 5 in March but has been reading for about 5 months now. He brings home 1st grade books from the school library and can read most of them. Amazing!
Oh, man. Children's Lit is one of my favorites.
ReplyDeleteFor older (5th grade-ish)- Among the Hidden, Because of Winn-Dixie, A Dog Called Kitty, Maniac McGee, Shiloh, Tangerine.
For younger: I LOVE the authors Karma Wilson, Patricia Polacco, Boughton (?). We love non-fiction books, too, but I can't really remember the authors. We read expository text about tractors, trains, animals, farms, etc. There are also non-fiction books called, "If You Lived with the..." and there are many different subjects- I recently got the ones about living with the pioneers.
Funny books: Aliens Love Underwear (Underpants?), The Great Fuzz Frenzy, any of the Don't Let the Pigeon books.
These are just a few we love. Let me know if you need certain kinds. I can definitely get more.
Try looking at the books up for awards at the Missouri Assoc. of School Librarians at http://www.maslonline.org/?page=ReadersAwards. There are several different grade categories that fall into the age range you're looking for and many should be fairly recently published. I used to read the Mark Twain Readers books and there were some really good ones.
ReplyDeleteThis does not meet your criteria, but...New favorite crockpot thing: soak a package of dried beans in water overnight. Rinse, cover with fresh water, and cook on low for 8(ish) hours. Season with salt and other spices/herbs to taste. Serve over rice with yummy garnishes like avocados, salsa, cilantro, cheese, tomatoes, etc. Delicious, simple, cost-efficient.
ReplyDelete