14... oh, nevermind - 18!
...or something like that.
This has been an absolutely crazy week, to say the very least.
Before you anxiously read all of this, the long story short is the baby is doing great but measuring four weeks ahead.
But in case you want it, here's the long story...
Monday was my normal 14 week appointment. We even had a little sonogram (just the portable one in the doctor's office) to make sure there's only one baby. There is. Everything looked great.
Tuesday I didn't feel well. At all. I kind of felt like someone stabbed me in the stomach all day long. I finally called the doctor and went in to listen for the heartbeat. (Brad couldn't be there because he had a faculty meeting... we were both feeling pretty nervous at this point.) Dr. Fullerton was very reassuring that there are a number of things that could be causing the pain that had nothing to do with the baby's well-being and everything to do with my body trying to accommodate the baby. The heartbeat was good, and she could hear baby moving. I told her I didn't want to be the crazy lady who came in when nothing was wrong - she made sure that I knew I'm not nuts, especially since this is my first pregnancy and I don't know what's normal.
But, just to make sure, she sent me in for a "real" sonogram. I drove over to her other office and went in for the sono. The tech took tons of pictures and did a lot of measuring. The baby was moving around a lot and the heartbeat was good. Techs aren't allowed to say whether the baby is fine or not, but everything she did say seemed to indicate that things looked fine (commenting on heartbeat and movement). At this point the tech turned to me and asked if I was sure about how far along I was. I said yes, pretty sure, but that I hadn't had an actual sonogram or any measurements of the baby.
She then told me that the baby was measuring 18 weeks.
Not 14.
18.
What?!
I let this sink in a little as she took a few more pictures. She told me she was doing all the measurements like they do at a normal 18-20 week sonogram in case my doctor wanted this to be mine. (Obviously not what I was planning... if nothing else, Brad was supposed to get to be there! We had just scheduled ours for December 3rd the day before.) Then I asked if she could look for the gender, label and print a picture, and put in an an envelope in case this was it for us. She said sure and did that.
After the sonogram I called Brad and filled him in. I drove home kind of in shock.
When I got home, we got to open the envelope... We're having a boy! (I sure can't tell what's what in the picture, but the tech typed "BOY!" so we're going with it.)
Wednesday I waited and waited for the doctor to call. I finally talked to her nurse (okay, "finally" was about 10:30 a.m. when I called like the crazy lady I am). Angela told me that they hadn't received the radiologist's report yet, which was actually a good thing. Any sonogram where the tech sees something that could be wrong gets pushed to the top for the radiologist to look at. If the baby's moving (check - a lot!), the heartbeat is good (check), and the tech doesn't see any other warning signs, the sonogram goes to the bottom of the list. She told me that the wait has been up to 48 hours for a report lately, but they would call me when it came in.
Nothing on Wednesday. At this point, we weren't particularly worried about the baby since my doctor was positive and the sonogram seemed to go so well and no news is good news. I finally talked to the nurse today. She said everything looks great with the baby, he's just measuring four weeks ahead (March 19 instead of April 15). Usually, the doctor changes the date when it's this much of a difference, but she hasn't looked at the report yet - and probably won't until Monday (she's not in the office on Fridays). So we'll wait (impatiently) this weekend to see what the verdict is. I know that the baby will come when the baby comes, regardless of the official due date and there's obviously nothing I can do about it now, but I'm a little bit Type-A, so I'd like to at least have a month...
Anyway, that's the scoop on Baby K. We're not sure when he's coming, but he's coming.
This has been an absolutely crazy week, to say the very least.
Before you anxiously read all of this, the long story short is the baby is doing great but measuring four weeks ahead.
But in case you want it, here's the long story...
Monday was my normal 14 week appointment. We even had a little sonogram (just the portable one in the doctor's office) to make sure there's only one baby. There is. Everything looked great.
Tuesday I didn't feel well. At all. I kind of felt like someone stabbed me in the stomach all day long. I finally called the doctor and went in to listen for the heartbeat. (Brad couldn't be there because he had a faculty meeting... we were both feeling pretty nervous at this point.) Dr. Fullerton was very reassuring that there are a number of things that could be causing the pain that had nothing to do with the baby's well-being and everything to do with my body trying to accommodate the baby. The heartbeat was good, and she could hear baby moving. I told her I didn't want to be the crazy lady who came in when nothing was wrong - she made sure that I knew I'm not nuts, especially since this is my first pregnancy and I don't know what's normal.
But, just to make sure, she sent me in for a "real" sonogram. I drove over to her other office and went in for the sono. The tech took tons of pictures and did a lot of measuring. The baby was moving around a lot and the heartbeat was good. Techs aren't allowed to say whether the baby is fine or not, but everything she did say seemed to indicate that things looked fine (commenting on heartbeat and movement). At this point the tech turned to me and asked if I was sure about how far along I was. I said yes, pretty sure, but that I hadn't had an actual sonogram or any measurements of the baby.
She then told me that the baby was measuring 18 weeks.
Not 14.
18.
What?!
I let this sink in a little as she took a few more pictures. She told me she was doing all the measurements like they do at a normal 18-20 week sonogram in case my doctor wanted this to be mine. (Obviously not what I was planning... if nothing else, Brad was supposed to get to be there! We had just scheduled ours for December 3rd the day before.) Then I asked if she could look for the gender, label and print a picture, and put in an an envelope in case this was it for us. She said sure and did that.
After the sonogram I called Brad and filled him in. I drove home kind of in shock.
When I got home, we got to open the envelope... We're having a boy! (I sure can't tell what's what in the picture, but the tech typed "BOY!" so we're going with it.)
Wednesday I waited and waited for the doctor to call. I finally talked to her nurse (okay, "finally" was about 10:30 a.m. when I called like the crazy lady I am). Angela told me that they hadn't received the radiologist's report yet, which was actually a good thing. Any sonogram where the tech sees something that could be wrong gets pushed to the top for the radiologist to look at. If the baby's moving (check - a lot!), the heartbeat is good (check), and the tech doesn't see any other warning signs, the sonogram goes to the bottom of the list. She told me that the wait has been up to 48 hours for a report lately, but they would call me when it came in.
Nothing on Wednesday. At this point, we weren't particularly worried about the baby since my doctor was positive and the sonogram seemed to go so well and no news is good news. I finally talked to the nurse today. She said everything looks great with the baby, he's just measuring four weeks ahead (March 19 instead of April 15). Usually, the doctor changes the date when it's this much of a difference, but she hasn't looked at the report yet - and probably won't until Monday (she's not in the office on Fridays). So we'll wait (impatiently) this weekend to see what the verdict is. I know that the baby will come when the baby comes, regardless of the official due date and there's obviously nothing I can do about it now, but I'm a little bit Type-A, so I'd like to at least have a month...
Anyway, that's the scoop on Baby K. We're not sure when he's coming, but he's coming.
How exciting! A boy!! I hope you're feeling more comfortable now. I never know when to call. I don't want to be the crazy over-reacter, but I also don't want to under-react and jeopardize the baby. I feel silly every time, but the nurses reassure me that most people call A LOT. So better to be safe than sorry!
ReplyDeleteCongratulations! I would totally be calling heaps as well if I was in your situation. So excited for the two of you!
ReplyDeleteYay! A boy! You go ahead and call all you want. We don't want you stressed out, and I'm pretty sure they're used to it. And you're right, don't worry too much. He'll come when he comes. :)
ReplyDeleteAww, a little boy! So exciting! Never feel bad about calling, I called a lot, especially towards the end of the pregnancy... now I stalk my pediatrician! :)
ReplyDeleteI felt silly too! But, they are super nice and reassuring. The PA said they'd have a talk with me if I was calling too much! Lol!
ReplyDeleteOh boy oh boy!! (Ha) how exciting! As Beau put it, be happy you're 4 weeks closer without the work of it!
Congratulations on your boy! What a weird experience it must be to jump ahead 4 weeks. Oh well, if he comes out healthy sooner than you thought, all the better!
ReplyDelete