Time... management?!

The most fascinating thing about these headbands is that you have time to make them. I would like to request an upcoming entry on time management. -Hannah

Time management... Well, I hate to burst anyone's image of me as a totally with-it, especially if it's my sister's. Truth be told, the headbands don't take long to make. I do it in steps over the course of a couple of weeks, stealing time here and there.

But it's not so much that I manage time as I desperately try to grasp at it as each day slips away.

I get up at 5:15 a.m. Five days a week - every day I work. It sounds early, I know. And to tell you the truth, I've never been a morning person... you can ask my mom. Or pretty much anyone I've ever lived with.

The funny thing is, though, now that I'm getting up so early, I'm more awake the rest of the day. As an added bonus, I sleep better at night, too. Who knew?! All I needed to feel more rested was to get up earlier. And, honestly, I would probably sleep awesome every night if I got up at 5:15 even on the weekends. But I just can't do it, which means it takes me longer to fall asleep on Sunday nights, after two mornings of sleeping in. 

Anyway. That was kind of a tangent... I don't really consciously manage my time. A typical weekday for me looks like this (times are approximate):
5:15 a.m. - cheerfully hop up drag my weary body out of bed
5:25 a.m. - run with the dog. (I'm not sure how we're going to get her enough exercise when it gets too cold for this. Hmm....)
6:05 a.m. - get ready for work
7:00 a.m.ish - leave for work (the work day in and of itself is a whole different post...)
4:00 p.m. - leave work for home (I try to get almost everything done at work. Some days I do. Other days, like today, I just give up and take it home.)
4:15 p.m. - take a few minutes to catch up on my social media, blogs and facebook of course
4:45 p.m. - start homework
5:30 p.m. - either continue homework or make supper, depending on what we're having. BK usually cooks because he doesn't like to clean the kitchen, and I'm not fond of cooking.
6:00 p.m. - eat supper, clean up kitchen
6:45 p.m. - homework, grading, lesson planning
7:30 p.m. - daily "chores" (me and/or BK, depending on the day/chore)
8:00 p.m. - either more homework/grading/planning OR time to relax
9:00 p.m. - get ready for bed, if I last this long

Following this schedule during the week means that on weekends, I don't have to do much cleaning (other than laundry). Or homework (although maybe I should be working a little harder on this). Or grading/lesson planning. So I can make headbands and sew with my mom and play piano and blog and take pictures and bake and consider the possibility that maybe I have too many hobbies...

I don't read much during the school year. If I do, I end up staying up too late or neglecting things that need to be done. I spend lots of time during breaks and in the summer catching up.

Oh! And I definitely don't have kids. I'm pretty sure that makes a difference...

p.s. There's still time to enter my give away!

Comments

  1. I'm an early riser also. I like the quiet before everyone else gets up. As I read your list, it is so nice to see the balance you have created for yourself. I think having that kind of balance helps to keep a teacher from getting burned out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You do have an action packed day!I think you are managing your time very well. Busy days are exhausting but also fulfilling.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It seems to me that it's always necessary to have hobbies to help relax, stop thinking about your job, and also to take time to play with the (husband, dog, cat, kids, etc.). You seemed to have it planned so well & I like that you get the chores done so that Saturday isn't chore day. Thanks for sharing all your ideas to get the day right!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The stars are rather excellent that early in the morning. At least you're getting up because you want to and not because you have to for work. It makes a difference mentally, at least for me. Does Jazz play fetch?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not sure I could put a time next to all the parts of my day - but it's true, having a routine really helps get it all in. (And sometimes I get up at 5:30 on Saturday and Sunday just because I know it means 3 free hours to myself!)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by - please leave a comment to let me know you were here!

Popular posts from this blog

SOL: Caught

Give away!

part two: Grandma's quilt