week's endings
The last couple Saturdays have been good. Very good. I finally feel like myself again... meaning I do a lot on Saturdays and then wonder why I didn't relax for a while.
Last Saturday was Justin's last football game. I don't know about him, but I'm ready for basketball season... when the games are inside!
After we got home from the game, my mom came over. She brought us this dresser that was my great-grandma's, dad's, and mine. It's nice and large, so we hopefully won't have trouble storing clothes and diapers for Baby K.
This weekend we started working on the dresser... We sanded the top and every drawer. The little decorative detail on the front is going to be a pain to sand, but I think I'll leave that for Brad. All the rest is going very quickly.
Rewinding... last weekend mom and I sewed curtains and a crib skirt for the nursery. I don't have a picture of them in action because we don't have the crib, and we're waiting to put up the curtains until we paint the nursery.

I'm starting to get antsy to get things set up and ready! Only about 18 1/2 more weeks...
For the past few months we'd been talking about the possibility of using cloth diapers. About a month ago, we decided that the pros outweigh the cons, so we're committed! (You certainly have every right to think we're crazy or don't know what we're getting ourselves into. It's probably true. But we've spent a lot of time researching and discussing the options and are actually really excited. The only uncertain piece of the cloth diapering puzzle now is daycare, but we'll figure that out.) A friend added me to a facebook group that does co-op orders of products for almost-wholesale prices, the main ones being different brands of cloth diapers.
We're ordering about 5-10 at a time whenever a co-op for the brands we want to use comes up. Most of our first order came in last week... How could you not want to put these on your baby?! They're so stinkin' cute!
We also decided to take on our first ever building project. We can paint and lay flooring and sand and stain with the best of them (okay, maybe not the best, but at least the average diy-er), but building things?! That's a new concept.
We found the plans for a six-cubby bookshelf at Ana White's website. That site is amazing... free building plans for just about anything. The plans aren't terribly detailed, but they were good enough for us novices. The only real problems we had were related to the wood we got from Ace. Their saw was not working correctly the day they cut it; Brad found this out when he took some pieces back today to ask them to redo.
We ended up modifying it a little bit - one side will be for books and the other side for baskets of toys, so there are five cubbies instead of six. And we left the decorative molding off the front. But, overall, I'm pretty excited with how it turned out... just need to get some paint on it, and it will be ready to fill up!
I also baked bread and did some normal Saturday afternoon things like laundry and grocery shopping and sweeping the basement (where Brad will paint the dresser and shelves, since it's supposed to get cold soon) and getting Sunday dinner ready (oven stew)... nothing too exciting, but exciting that I had the energy and motivation to do them.
I hope your weekends have been productive lately... or relaxing. Relaxing is good, too.
Last Saturday was Justin's last football game. I don't know about him, but I'm ready for basketball season... when the games are inside!
After we got home from the game, my mom came over. She brought us this dresser that was my great-grandma's, dad's, and mine. It's nice and large, so we hopefully won't have trouble storing clothes and diapers for Baby K.
This weekend we started working on the dresser... We sanded the top and every drawer. The little decorative detail on the front is going to be a pain to sand, but I think I'll leave that for Brad. All the rest is going very quickly.
Rewinding... last weekend mom and I sewed curtains and a crib skirt for the nursery. I don't have a picture of them in action because we don't have the crib, and we're waiting to put up the curtains until we paint the nursery.
I'm starting to get antsy to get things set up and ready! Only about 18 1/2 more weeks...
For the past few months we'd been talking about the possibility of using cloth diapers. About a month ago, we decided that the pros outweigh the cons, so we're committed! (You certainly have every right to think we're crazy or don't know what we're getting ourselves into. It's probably true. But we've spent a lot of time researching and discussing the options and are actually really excited. The only uncertain piece of the cloth diapering puzzle now is daycare, but we'll figure that out.) A friend added me to a facebook group that does co-op orders of products for almost-wholesale prices, the main ones being different brands of cloth diapers.
We're ordering about 5-10 at a time whenever a co-op for the brands we want to use comes up. Most of our first order came in last week... How could you not want to put these on your baby?! They're so stinkin' cute!
We also decided to take on our first ever building project. We can paint and lay flooring and sand and stain with the best of them (okay, maybe not the best, but at least the average diy-er), but building things?! That's a new concept.
We found the plans for a six-cubby bookshelf at Ana White's website. That site is amazing... free building plans for just about anything. The plans aren't terribly detailed, but they were good enough for us novices. The only real problems we had were related to the wood we got from Ace. Their saw was not working correctly the day they cut it; Brad found this out when he took some pieces back today to ask them to redo.
We ended up modifying it a little bit - one side will be for books and the other side for baskets of toys, so there are five cubbies instead of six. And we left the decorative molding off the front. But, overall, I'm pretty excited with how it turned out... just need to get some paint on it, and it will be ready to fill up!
I also baked bread and did some normal Saturday afternoon things like laundry and grocery shopping and sweeping the basement (where Brad will paint the dresser and shelves, since it's supposed to get cold soon) and getting Sunday dinner ready (oven stew)... nothing too exciting, but exciting that I had the energy and motivation to do them.
I hope your weekends have been productive lately... or relaxing. Relaxing is good, too.
Wow, you're productive! We're going to cloth diaper too. We went with one-size diapers though, which fit from about 10-35 pounds, so we'll do disposables until Ezra is big enough for the diapers. Once more of your diapers come, you should write a post about what kinds of diapers you're using!
ReplyDeleteWe're also doing disposables/one-size! I'm sure I still don't really know what we're getting into, but I really feel like it's the right choice for our family. :) Obviously it's not for everyone. Once I get my "stash," I'll definitely post more about it and, eventually, how things go.
Delete