color

I am the last person I know who wants to get involved in a big debate about politics. Trust me. But I am deeply disturbed by the rhetoric in this country, by the deep divisions, by the refusal to compromise - the refusal to even converse. And I just have to get this off my chest.

There's this wonderful thing about our world. It's in color. Not black and white. And this is a time of year when I am very thankful for the colors - the bright yellow leaves, the blazing orange sunrise, the beautiful blues of the sky and greens of the already fading grass.

I think that, especially at this time of year, we need to take a moment to appreciate the color. It's important to recognize that it is part of what makes each of us the unique person we are.

But when we state, or even imply, that all members of a certain demographic - say Christians, or women, or those with webbed toes (check, check, check) - should all feel a certain way or make a certain decision, we are putting away the vibrant colors. We are, essentially, stripping individuals of their right to choose, to believe, in anything but what we have chosen for them.

We are asking them to color inside our lines, without acknowledging that their lines may draw a completely different, yet equally beautiful, picture.

We may not color the picture either of us would have wanted. It may include things that neither of us planned - and, for now, it may leave out things that we each desperately want. It will require patience and compromise. Not giving up, but finding a middle ground for now. But we have to start somewhere.

I do believe that, until we put away our need to impose our views - our lines, if you will - upon others, until we are able to find a new picture to color or new colors to use with those with whom we disagree, we will not move forward... regardless of tomorrow's outcome.

I urge, then, first of all, that petitions, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for all people — for kings and all those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness.
—1 Timothy 2:1-2 (NIV)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SOL: Caught

Give away!

Lincoln Jesse Kohlman: Birth Story