But what about?
I always cringe when I see people do research about school funding in Kansas and take the total amount spent on schools and divide it by the number of students.
The number seems great, anywhere from $11,000-$15,000 a kid. That would be fantastic. But it's a deceiving number.
Disclaimer: I am no expert in school funding. It is incredibly complicated. This is just what I have pieced together. For a more complete picture, contact your local superintendent (right, Darrel?!).
The average Kansas general education student is "funded" with $4,012. (In Governor Brownback's budget proposal, that number dips down to $3,780 for next year.) Then, there a lots and lots of weightings for things like at-risk students, special education, free and reduced lunch students, etc... Money that goes into specific funds (capital outlay, technology, etc...) usually has to be spent for that specific purpose.
Some of the money included in the total spent on education in Kansas goes to KPERS (Kansas Public Employee Retirement System)... for retired teachers. Obviously, that money doesn't go anywhere near the classroom. Of course it's important to adequately fund this, but it's deceitful to call it "school funding."
Some of the money included in the total is money from local bond issues. Money that, by law, can only be used for the bond projects (school building improvements) approved by voters.
Some of the money included in the total spent goes to a fund called "capital outlay." It's used for things like replacing worn out/broken furniture, repairing buildings, etc... And, yes, I suppose it could be used to shore up classrooms. But then what happens when the roof starts leaking? This year, both of my schools will use part of the money to buy new student desks. If they don't, next year's students will be sitting on the floor. (Based on this year's 5th, 6th, and 7th grade enrollment, which will be the number of middle school students next year.) Isn't that an appropriate use of funding?
Then there's that hoopla about reserve funds. Supposedly, districts are cutting teachers and athletics and classroom funding, but they're sitting on these huge reserve funds... This money is used for several things. For the past two years, many districts have used it to make payroll on time when the state is late with their payments to schools (which has happened several times in the last couple of years). Don't teachers deserve to be paid on time? It's also used to shore up districts when funding is cut mid-year.
This is just a quick, simple explanation. Once again, I have to admit that I am no expert in school funding. It is incredibly complicated. This is just what I have pieced together.
The number seems great, anywhere from $11,000-$15,000 a kid. That would be fantastic. But it's a deceiving number.
Disclaimer: I am no expert in school funding. It is incredibly complicated. This is just what I have pieced together. For a more complete picture, contact your local superintendent (right, Darrel?!).
The average Kansas general education student is "funded" with $4,012. (In Governor Brownback's budget proposal, that number dips down to $3,780 for next year.) Then, there a lots and lots of weightings for things like at-risk students, special education, free and reduced lunch students, etc... Money that goes into specific funds (capital outlay, technology, etc...) usually has to be spent for that specific purpose.
Some of the money included in the total spent on education in Kansas goes to KPERS (Kansas Public Employee Retirement System)... for retired teachers. Obviously, that money doesn't go anywhere near the classroom. Of course it's important to adequately fund this, but it's deceitful to call it "school funding."
Some of the money included in the total is money from local bond issues. Money that, by law, can only be used for the bond projects (school building improvements) approved by voters.
Some of the money included in the total spent goes to a fund called "capital outlay." It's used for things like replacing worn out/broken furniture, repairing buildings, etc... And, yes, I suppose it could be used to shore up classrooms. But then what happens when the roof starts leaking? This year, both of my schools will use part of the money to buy new student desks. If they don't, next year's students will be sitting on the floor. (Based on this year's 5th, 6th, and 7th grade enrollment, which will be the number of middle school students next year.) Isn't that an appropriate use of funding?
Then there's that hoopla about reserve funds. Supposedly, districts are cutting teachers and athletics and classroom funding, but they're sitting on these huge reserve funds... This money is used for several things. For the past two years, many districts have used it to make payroll on time when the state is late with their payments to schools (which has happened several times in the last couple of years). Don't teachers deserve to be paid on time? It's also used to shore up districts when funding is cut mid-year.
This is just a quick, simple explanation. Once again, I have to admit that I am no expert in school funding. It is incredibly complicated. This is just what I have pieced together.
"Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind
with an open one." -Malcolm Forbes
Nice job, I would agree with you 100% that when you hear those amounts it is misleading. I also agree that you should contact your local superintendent or BOE member. I also recommend that when you read ads or hear numbers being quoted that you know where that information is coming from. Some of the taxpayer groups are not always funded by individuals but corporations that are receiving tax breaks and cuts! Kansas Policy Institute for example.
ReplyDelete