summer, soon?
Next year, I teach two blocks of 7th grade LA on the north side and one block 6th grade LA on the south side (where I am right now). I get an hour and a half for lunch/"plan"/travel (it takes five minutes from one parking lot to the other, with school zone lights flashing) plus my requisite plan period, which is the sweetest part of the deal right now.
The second grade level (7th) is new and slightly stressful. But I will work with great people in both buildings, so that eases my anxiety a little.
I have two classrooms. I have a lot of things in my current classroom, like lamps and pillows and books and pictures (not only teacher posters on the walls but also real pictures in frames, like people put on the walls in their houses). So now I have to find a lot of things for my other classroom; I refuse to move half of it because I've worked really hard to make my room feel not so classroom-ish.
Five more days, 15 more research papers, 65 more tests, 65 This I Believe essays - to be written and read to the class and checked off, four new novels to read, a new literature book to sort through, 29 new word parts to learn, a three-inch high stack of papers and resources to laminate, who knows how much time sorting and copying and trying to figure out how the heck to make two classrooms feel like places I want to be when I've barely gotten one down...
And that might be half of it. My "to-do" list is ridiculous, and I don't even know where to start. Maybe tomorrow I'll divide the "right now" from the "someday soon."
And hide the someday soon in a drawer. Yep, sounds like a plan.
The second grade level (7th) is new and slightly stressful. But I will work with great people in both buildings, so that eases my anxiety a little.
I have two classrooms. I have a lot of things in my current classroom, like lamps and pillows and books and pictures (not only teacher posters on the walls but also real pictures in frames, like people put on the walls in their houses). So now I have to find a lot of things for my other classroom; I refuse to move half of it because I've worked really hard to make my room feel not so classroom-ish.
Five more days, 15 more research papers, 65 more tests, 65 This I Believe essays - to be written and read to the class and checked off, four new novels to read, a new literature book to sort through, 29 new word parts to learn, a three-inch high stack of papers and resources to laminate, who knows how much time sorting and copying and trying to figure out how the heck to make two classrooms feel like places I want to be when I've barely gotten one down...
And that might be half of it. My "to-do" list is ridiculous, and I don't even know where to start. Maybe tomorrow I'll divide the "right now" from the "someday soon."
And hide the someday soon in a drawer. Yep, sounds like a plan.
One of the freshmen told me this week that we teachers have life so easy ... because we already know everything.
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed his innocence, but at this time of year, it isn't the knowing part that is hard. Rather, the doing. Be sure to take some time for silence this summer.