day's end
The day's end is sacred.
One more diaper change, jammies on, the day's clothes tossed to the laundry basket.
I switch off the floor lamp and settle into the glider in the corner, Lincoln resting on the pillows laid across my lap.
One more feeding, while I rock gently.
His swaddle blanket laid out in the crib, a pacifier to the side, just in case.
The monkey nightlight glows. The froggy humidifier hums. Light from the hallway spills across the carpet.
My baby peers up at me through barely awake eyes. I lift him to my shoulder and pat his back. He snuggles his head into the crook of my neck, and I rock.
Just a few minutes more.
And a few more.
Until his body relaxes completely, melts on my chest.
Then a few precious minutes more.
I set him down in the crib. He always wakes up as I wrap the swaddle blanket snugly around him and looks up at me, calm and trust spilling out his blue eyes.
I pick him up one more time for three kisses - two chubby cheeks, one soft forehead, and whisper,
It's time to sleep. I love you, Lincoln. Good night.
Comments
Post a Comment
Thanks for stopping by - please leave a comment to let me know you were here!