One month

Today Lincoln is one month old! I can't believe he's been here a whole month, but I also don't remember what life was like before him. It's funny how that works.

It's hard to write about his habits, likes, or dislikes since he seems so new and because he spent a fourth of his life so far in the NICU. But here goes anyway!


Lincoln is not a big fan of tummy time. Often he doesn't try to move his head much; during those times he lasts a lot longer than when he does try to hold up his head. During tummy time he really wants to move and sometimes ends up scooting around in circles or a little ways across the blanket when he can get good enough traction with his feet. He does love to hold his head up and look around when he's held upright (on a shoulder).

Lincoln is usually a happy little boy. He smiles and laughs at mommy, daddy, and especially Grandma Valerie. He loves singing "Head, Shoulders, Knees, and Toes" with the actions, as well as "Tony Chestnut" (Toe Knee Chest Nut), "If You're Happy and You Know it," and "My God is so Big!" - basically any song that has actions we can do together.


He sleeps well at night for a one-month-old, I think (I hate to write this because I'm sure I'll jinx it!), from about 9 p.m. to 8 a.m., waking up about three times to eat - with at least one four-hour stretch between feedings. He goes right back to sleep after eating. During the day though, he's started to fight naps, even when he is exhausted. Other than when he is fighting sleep, needs to eat, or has a dirty diaper, he is pretty content. He's awake quite a bit during the day and wants to be interacting with someone most of that time.

Lincoln loves to eat, and does that every 2-4 hours... he has settled into a pretty good routine. Feedings usually last about 40 minutes, except when he is cluster feeding in the evening (which actually happens every hour for a while) - those are about 20 minutes.


During his NICU stay, Lincoln graduated to size one disposable diapers. I decided to try on the cloth this morning for his photo shoot and 8:00 feeding, and they fit really well around his chubby belly (although I realize now that I didn't have them snapped correctly), but they seem just a little loose around the legs. It didn't leak, though, even with a pretty good pee, so I think it's about time to make the switch. He wears 0-3 month clothes. 


Lincoln loves to look at specific things - his bear, Abraham, the wall of frames above his changing pad, the wall hanging over the couch. He will stare and laugh at all of these. He also likes to watch people talk to him and tries to imitate their mouths with his.


 It's so much fun to watch Lincoln grow and learn. We love, love, love our little man!

Comments

  1. He probably gets kinda cranky when he wonders why he hasn't seen his uncle Daniel for a couple weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are doing such a great job! He's so sweet!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by - please leave a comment to let me know you were here!

Popular posts from this blog

SOL: Caught

Give away!

Lincoln Jesse Kohlman: Birth Story