"Why?"

Sometimes Lincoln asks great questions.

And by great questions, I mean those that make my own brain hurt.

Last night, in the marathon "get Lincoln to sleep" session, we had a good conversation.

And by good conversation, I mean one in which I was complete stumped and kind of overwhelmed.

Saturday night we went to Night in the Barn, where Joseph told his story in a barn, with animals. It was really cool, and all the high school actors did a great job.

Lincoln was talking about it. He told me, "The angel came to him when he was sleeping."

I had no idea the kid was soaking anything in, much less a detail like that.

Then he asked, "Was that real Jesus or pretend Jesus?" of the baby doll Mary held.

"Pretend Jesus," I replied, thankful for a softball question.

"Where was real Jesus?"

"Well, real Jesus lived a long time ago."

"Oh. Where is real Jesus now?"

"Jesus died."

"Why?"

Oh. What?!

His face started to crumple, and I knew tears wouldn't be far away if I didn't think fast.

Why did Jesus die? Tell me, please, how you answer this question for a two-year-old. I'll be honest with you here. I'm not in the faith camp that is going to explain to a two-year-old that Jesus died for our sins so we can all go to heaven. We need to talk a little more about how Jesus lived before we get to the death part. Plus, the next questions he would ask would be about sin and whether Lincoln himself will go to heaven, and I would have a very scared and worried little boy on my hands.

So I took a deep breath and did the best I could.

"We all die eventually."

"So Jesus is dead?" His lower lip quivered just a bit.

Think, Megan.

"Jesus lives in heaven now. And in your heart."

"In my heart? How does Jesus live in my heart?"

"Well, Jesus was kind and good. You are kind and good. That's like Jesus."

"Mommy, is Jesus in your heart?"

"Yes."

"Can I feel him?" Lincoln placed his hand on my heart and smiled.

"Yeah, Jesus is there."

Comments

  1. Sounds like Lincoln is ready for BIFL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. He may need a few weeks of Intro to Bib first. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by - please leave a comment to let me know you were here!

Popular posts from this blog

SOL: Caught

Give away!

Lincoln Jesse Kohlman: Birth Story