Present
"Bidden or not bidden, God is present." -Desiderius Erasmus
If you've been lurking around my blog for any amount of time, you may have noticed that there's definitely something I don't post much - maybe not really at all - about: faith.
(And I do say lurking on purpose, because ya'll don't comment... and I have fixed my commenting settings so everybody should be able to comment without logging into anything. I'll keep it that way unless somebody says something mean.)
Anyway, back to the point. Faith. Mine, specifically, since this is my blog after all.
Yikes. Isn't that one of the things you're not supposed to talk about with friends? Politics, religion... I always thought there was a third but I can't seem to think of it right now.
Now, don't get me wrong, I love a good discussion about my faith and all that entails. I just don't post about it, well, because I feel like so many people who do blog about their faith have things "figured out." Or, at least they come across as having it figured out. And it's not just on blogs. A lot of people I spend quality time with appear to have this faith thing down.
Confession time: I don't. Have it all figured out, that is.
Sure, I believe in God. I like Jesus and learning to follow in his footsteps. I spend time praying and reading my Bible and worshiping and having fantastic discussions in Sunday School.
But I'm not so sure about a lot of things. And that's why I don't talk about my faith much. Or at all.
It's hard. I don't want to be judged. Heck, I don't even want to open myself up to the possibility of being judged. (A lot of people around here would probably label me a "Liberal," if you're into labels like that... and, in case you haven't noticed, that kind of thing is often frowned upon in Kansas.)
I'm not really sure what my point here is. Maybe I'm trying to articulate a goal to blog more openly about my faith and my doubt and my questions. Maybe I want a reminder for myself to invite God to be present in all aspects of my life. Maybe I'm just trying to explain away my lack of posts. I guess we'll find out...
I have found that when I post things about my faith or something I've learned, I get lots of comments! People like hearing about what you believe, or what you learned in church/friends/family/Sunday School....
ReplyDeleteI would enjoy hearing more of your "faith" thoughts and questions and doubts. And you're not the only one who doesn't have this faith thing all figured out.
ReplyDeleteThe couple of times I've blogged about faith issues, I've started out with an open question I've been thinking about and the writing about it has helped me sort through it in an articulate way. And for every blog post that's on there, there's at least one other one that I started but never posted because I couldn't put anything coherent into words. Give it a try! Just write - don't pressure yourself too much to create a stellar blog post. The blog just gives you a forum to share your thoughts if you want to.
ReplyDelete