escuela

I haven't really posted about school since the year started. Here you go. (I just realized that, for some reason, whenever I post about school I have unexplainable urges to title the post in Spanish. Huh.)

I have been blessed this year with a lot of "those days." If you're a teacher, you know what I mean - days when things just seem to go right, when the kids behave, when the lessons "work," when all 65 of them get it. I love those days. Obviously.

I've amazed myself a few times this year. I'm such a better teacher than I was a year ago. I'm not sure I ever understood what a difference a year makes until now.

These kids, I wish you could meet them all. (Disclaimer: okay, maybe I'm exaggerating just a tad. But for sixth graders, they are pretty darn great - so far.) Of course, there's always a few who amaze me in a different way. But even they are special and good and challenging and important to the class dynamics and me. There are moments, even days sometimes, when I'm stunned by this group. They answer questions thoughtfully, participate meaningfully, work diligently. Those days have been more abundant this year than last.  I've been reluctant to write about it, because I'm afraid of jinxing myself. Yet they continue to amaze me.

One day, a number of students were being called to the office to pick up fundraiser packets or something.  A student of mine listened attentively, then declared loudly, "That's a shocker! I didn't get called to the office!" The funny thing is, he hasn't been in trouble all year. This one also sings Michael Jackson at random moments, usually when everyone's quietly working. I love it.

Today my coworkers and I spent our team time venting and sharing frustrations about a few kids. But just a few minutes later, during the next passing period, we were trying not to laugh too hard at their antics in the hallways. One dear friend observed, "Why would you want to be anything other than a teacher?!"

Why, indeed. What a wonderful thing to be paid for.

"Synonyms"
mk

I teach,
  inform.
  correct.
  assign.
  motivate.
  question.
  sigh.
  comment.
  plead.
  highlight.
  grade.
  dream.
  educate.
  cajole. 
  comment.
  answer.
  lead.
  amaze.
  inspire.
  smile.
  instruct.
  hope.
  cry.
  pray.
  love.
  bargain.  
  wonder.
  laugh.
  teach.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SOL: Caught

Give away!

Lincoln Jesse Kohlman: Birth Story