day 1

Today was the first real day of school. Yesterday my sixth graders came for WEB activities (Where Everyone Belongs) in the morning and a short schedule in the afternoon (each class was only 15 minutes). So I can call today the first real day.

So far, I have great kids. I'm pretty sure. There are a few kiddos I'm going to have to work with. But they are good.

My day:

5:16 am - wake up, go run
6:10 am - shower, get ready
7:00 am - head to work
7:40 am - first bell rings, help kids with lockers for 10 min.
7:50 am - frantically go through class expectations and syllabus for Expressive Language Arts
8:40 am - 6th grade pod mtg. with admin (start seeing spots), then round 2 of frantically go through class expectations and syllabus for Expressive Language Arts
9:29 am -frantically go through class expectations and syllabus for Language Arts (head really starts hurting)
10:45 am - realize I have a migraine and finally tell the kids they can visit quietly because I'm not feeling well - they were wonderful!
11:03 am - dismiss kids, head to my other school
11:17 am - read student handbook to study hall kids
11:57 am - send study hall kids to lunch, find a dr. pepper and some ibuprofen, eat lunch, start to feel better
12:33 pm - plan time! working in a quiet, dark-ish room can do wonders
1:22 pm - gear up for the last round: frantically go through class expectations and syllabus for LA
3:00 pm - send kiddos home for a good weekend.

I still can't believe I got a migraine on the first day of school. I can honestly say I've never felt like that before in my life... But the kids were understanding and sweet, I got over it fairly quickly, and Monday's gonna go great now!

It was pretty basic (and probably a little boring) today. Regardless, I loved it (other than the massive headache and queasiness). I am happy to be teaching all sixth grade this year, no seventh. I love these kids. They are sweet and attentive and kind and respectful so far. (Of course I'm not going to let that stop!) And I'm excited to go back on Monday and get into real teaching.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SOL: Caught

Give away!

part two: Grandma's quilt