Nuns Having Fun
For three of my four college years I lived in the mods (four double and one single room that shared a bathroom and living room) with - more or less - the same group of girls.
When we first started talking about living together, somehow we christened ourselves "The Nunnery." I think it had something to do with the fact that we wanted to live in mod 2B, and there's that great "to be or not to be" Hamlet quote... and that play also includes the line "Get thee to a Nunnery!" Conveniently, none of us were dating at the time (though that didn't actually last).
Am I remembering that right?!
Living so close together for two or three years means you form bonds that are different than just about any other. One of the things we discussed before moving in (we talked a lot - still do when we're together) was that we wanted to be intentional. We were choosing to live in community, not just to live with each other in order to get a mod.
And we did. Quite well, I might add.
Sure, we didn't always get along. The bathroom wasn't always as clean as some of us (okay, ME) would have liked. But for three years we lived as our own little "family" of nuns.
We had photo shoots. We pulled pranks (some successful, some not). We studied. We laughed and cried together. We talked. We shared life. We prayed with and for each other. Every Sunday evening we spent time together. We celebrated milestones, big and little. We saw each other at our worst and at our best.
Yesterday (Saturday) a few of us had a chance to get together. It was amazing. These are most definitely the "kind" of friends that can go for months without talking and pick up as if we never left off. I am so grateful to have the chance to know these women, to have shared so much with them and to be able to look forward to sharing more with them in the future.
So, without further ado, some pictures I promised to share...
Kiley & Katy, deep in thought.
Miriam
Mama Becca & baby Micah
Jill was super excited about the nursing cover...
Yes, I even change diapers.
Jill was also super excited about Micah.
Too cute.
little hands
Mir holding Micah
After almost four hours of eating and visiting we had to part ways, but not without plans to get together again - soon. And next time we need to get a picture of all of us together.
When we first started talking about living together, somehow we christened ourselves "The Nunnery." I think it had something to do with the fact that we wanted to live in mod 2B, and there's that great "to be or not to be" Hamlet quote... and that play also includes the line "Get thee to a Nunnery!" Conveniently, none of us were dating at the time (though that didn't actually last).
Am I remembering that right?!
Living so close together for two or three years means you form bonds that are different than just about any other. One of the things we discussed before moving in (we talked a lot - still do when we're together) was that we wanted to be intentional. We were choosing to live in community, not just to live with each other in order to get a mod.
And we did. Quite well, I might add.
Sure, we didn't always get along. The bathroom wasn't always as clean as some of us (okay, ME) would have liked. But for three years we lived as our own little "family" of nuns.
We had photo shoots. We pulled pranks (some successful, some not). We studied. We laughed and cried together. We talked. We shared life. We prayed with and for each other. Every Sunday evening we spent time together. We celebrated milestones, big and little. We saw each other at our worst and at our best.
Yesterday (Saturday) a few of us had a chance to get together. It was amazing. These are most definitely the "kind" of friends that can go for months without talking and pick up as if we never left off. I am so grateful to have the chance to know these women, to have shared so much with them and to be able to look forward to sharing more with them in the future.
So, without further ado, some pictures I promised to share...
Kiley & Katy, deep in thought.
Miriam
Mama Becca & baby Micah
Jill was super excited about the nursing cover...
Yes, I even change diapers.
Jill was also super excited about Micah.
Too cute.
little hands
Mir holding Micah
After almost four hours of eating and visiting we had to part ways, but not without plans to get together again - soon. And next time we need to get a picture of all of us together.
That's how I'm remembering the origins of the Nunnery. Thanks for the pics. Love to all my "sisters"!
ReplyDelete