encouragement
Today was rough. Inservice is like that sometimes - life is like that sometimes. But today, I am thankful. So thankful that I have someone I can go to to vent, to unload my frustrations to, to look to for advice and encouragement and a shot of confidence.
I can honestly say that, as a high school freshman, I would never have guessed that I'd be sending Mrs. H. facebook messages 11 years later. But here I am. And I am so grateful that I can send these messages and count on a reply that happens to be just what I need. (I've tried really hard to call her "Susan," but that just doesn't feel right. She'll always be my teacher.)
So thank you, Mrs. H., for being that person who understands me, or at least pretends to,on the days I just want to quit and on the days I feel like I just don't matter and the days I just feel like a crappy teacher.
I need to record here (and share with you) what she wrote, if only to save the words for when I next need them; pay special attention to the words I bold-ed. I wrote to her that I was struggling, and I didn't even know with what...
"With not making an impact. With working your buns off while other teachers seem to coast. With teaching a test when you know that isn't what they need. With being treated like a warm body in the classroom, one that any dummy could replace and not miss a beat.
"All of which is a lie. Down deep somewhere you know that. The test is a test is a test.
"All of which is a lie. Down deep somewhere you know that. The test is a test is a test.
"What we prepare them for is life in a world we can't even imagine. In sixth grade, I was in a one room school that didn't have running water. Not one of my teachers ever imagined a world of computers and technology.
"You teach kids. You teach them to pay attention and turn in assignments on time, to express themselves using words, to read for information and for pleasure. You teach them to cooperate with each other and get along. I know you know how to teach and to write and to read. Make those ideas you have fit the programs. Do what you know is right."
"You teach kids. You teach them to pay attention and turn in assignments on time, to express themselves using words, to read for information and for pleasure. You teach them to cooperate with each other and get along. I know you know how to teach and to write and to read. Make those ideas you have fit the programs. Do what you know is right."
Like I said... just what I needed. Thanks, Mrs. H.
You are so lucky to have such a wise person to turn to when you need just the right word. She is so right, Do what you know is right.
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing her great advice! It's so easy to get bogged down and discouraged by all the little and big things that are part of teaching -- this is a nice reminder to keep the BIG picture in mind!
ReplyDeleteI believe I feel better too & really want a Mrs. H in my life too. I hope you'll take her words seriously & focus on the good parts, pulling the rest along until they 'catch up'. Those good parts (students) will get you through.
ReplyDelete