busyness

The other day I ran across this interesting article on busyness. You can read it HERE.

If you don't want to read it, here's the point:
Busyness is becoming a status symbol, something we take pride in. The busier we are, the more "full" our lives supposedly are. And so, we make ourselves busier and busier. But the busyness consumes us instead of filling us.

It's an interesting take on things. And it may be true of some people.

But I disagree, at least for me. I'm not busy just to be busy. I don't say "yes" just to have another thing to do or to pad my social resume. I carefully weigh my decisions, based on what my schedule already looks like and what the new commitment will add to it.

I am busy by choice, yes, but my busyness has a purpose. And that purpose is not a status symbol.

I work because I love my job. I know that what I do is important. And I am encouraged by my students on a daily basis.

I go to school because I have a passion for books and reading and public services. I am excited about the possibilities it will open to me. And I kind of like to learn.

I am involved in my church because it fills me. I do not commit to much. And I love my few commitments here - VBS, reading scripture, greeting...

But - I am not busy for the sake of being busy. I am not busy to the point where it consumes me. I am not so busy that I can't take an evening or a weekend off and do nothing or do only what I want to do at that particular moment. (Obviously, since I just made a laptop sleeve and another bag today.)

But it's something to think about, something to keep in mind... What do you think?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SOL: Caught

Lincoln Jesse Kohlman: Birth Story

Give away!