Dash like a Warrior

I dashed like a warrior this morning with some amazing friends.


A co-worker turns 40 this week and wanted to do something special for her 40th. So she chose the Warrior Dash. Basically, this is a 5K trail run obstacle course. Yes, those pictures are real. I jumped over fire. It's a true story.


We started the weekend with a long drive to KC (we made a few pits stops...). There weren't more than a handful of quiet moments the whole drive.


After checking into our hotel, we headed to Zona Rosa for some shopping and eating.


 I am a library nerd. I want these. (But I stayed true to my clutter-free pledge and didn't even look at the price!)




Yogurtini - NOT as good as Orange Leaf.

I had so much fun hanging out with these girls. Well, women. :) I love them dearly and am so privileged to have such amazing coworkers. I can't even tell you how awesome they are. Maybe some day I'll try. It was great to get a chance to spend time with them outside of the school day. (And getting to hang out with them makes the fact that school starts two weeks from tomorrow - thanks, Amy, for pointing that out! - a little more bearable, because I get to see them!)

After our night on the town, Michelle's car was broken into (it may have been accidentally left unlocked) at QuikTrip and two phones and a purse (luckily minus the wallet) were stolen. Talk about a damper on the weekend! Fortunately, this didn't prevent us from talking and laughing until about 1:30 a.m.

This morning we headed out - to the WARRIOR DASH! Our wave started at 11:00. It was hot, hot, hot. The first mile, which didn't have any obstacles, was so hard, but after that things were pretty good. (They're gonna laugh at me if they read this.)



 




I promise, I was at least as muddy as everyone else! I just had to wash off first so I could go grab my camera so we could have some muddy pictures. Michelle promised to buy everyone an official photo of them crossing the finish line as a souvenir. I'm going to hold her to that one.



The race was hard. So hard. I was really worried about the obstacles, but compared to the trail, they were a piece of cake. The website wasn't kidding when it said they looked for the roughest, hilliest ground they could find. The trail was so muddy in some places that it was impossible to actually run - anyone would fall.

But I am so glad I did. I haven't really done much running since my knee surgery (2007). I definitely didn't train for anything until this. (Although I didn't really train, just worked my way up to 3 miles of running, which wasn't nearly enough for this race.) And really, as crazy as it might sound, it was fun. A lot of fun.

I don't know about anyone else, but I'll sign up for the second annual trip!

Comments

  1. Thanks for sharing this story through pictures and words. I love the shot of the town with the lights. Lucky you to have such awesome friends. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also loved the picture of the town with lights. A similar race in the Pacific Northwest is called the Dirty Dash in Spokane, Washington. It sounded like it would definitely be memorable! I am glad you were able to experience this with your co-workers - what a great team builder!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a bonding experience. Definitely a memorable way to bring on the 40's. I love how you included pictures to truly capture parts of the challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pictures awesome, descriptions even better, of your time with your friends, & your challenge with the race. It looks really hard to me! Yet, with support from friends, I guess you all made it with style, & a little mud! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved the pictures and the story. Congratulations on taking on such a challenge.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by - please leave a comment to let me know you were here!

Popular posts from this blog

SOL: Caught

Give away!

part two: Grandma's quilt