25: The List, Update #1-2

This weekend, thanks to my wonderful husband, I crossed two things off my list...

Remember a couple months ago, when I, shocked by my own strength, ripped off a drawer front?

Yep, it made it as item #13. fix kitchen drawer, or persuade Brad to do it for me. Done. (Brad did most of it, but I helped hold the drawer front in place as he put in the screws. Don't look too closely, Grandpa Varden. It may not be quite perfect.)

 

A few months ago, Brad bought this cookbook from his school book fair.

 

Pretty exciting stuff, I know. Perfect for #17. find a completely new recipe that both of us love. Done. (This one was at least a 50/50 project...)

 

Benihana (which is a lot like Kobe's or Sumo's or whatever Japanese steak house is in your area) Hibachi Steak
4 5-oz. sirloin steaks
4 tsp. soybean oil (we used sesame oil, since we couldn't find soybean in the Augusta Dillon's - surprise, surprise)
1 large onion, sliced
8 large mushrooms, sliced thick
2 c. bean sprouts (we skipped this one)
1/4 c. soy sauce
4 pinches salt, or to taste
4 pinches pepper, or to taste
4 dashes mustard-based steak sauce

1. Preheat broiler.
2. Broil the steak until rare; cut into 1-inch cubes.
3. Heat a nonstick skillet and add the oil.
4. Add the onion and cook until slightly browned and soft.
5. Add steak and mushrooms and cook to the desired degree of doneness.
6. Add the bean sprouts and soy sauce.
7. Add the salt, pepper, and steak sauce.

And since everyone knows you can't have hibachi steak alone...

Benihana Japanese Fried Rice 

1 1/4 c. uncooked rice
Soybean oil
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 c. finely diced green onions
1/2 c. frozen peas, thawed
1 medium carrot, chopped
4 tsp. soy sauce
Salt and pepper

1. Cook the rie according to package directions. Once done, empty into a mixing bowl.
2. In a large skillet, heat 2 tsp. oil. Scramble the eggs into small pieces until cooked. Empty the scrambled eggs into the bowl with the rice and stir together. (In the future, we will add another egg... two wasn't cutting it for us.)
3. Using the same pan, add additional oil, the diced green onions, the peas, and the carrot.  Let simmer on low for 5 minutes.
4. Add several scoops of the cooled rice and egg mixture to the skillet. Keep gradually adding a scoop at a time to the pan and stirring.
5. While mixing, slowly add the soy sauce a tsp. at a time until the fried rice is a golden brown color.
6. Add salt and pepper to taste.

It may not have turned out quite the same as dinner out, but it sure beats the $20/person price tag.


So, here is the updated list, with a couple crossed off - blue, a few in progress - red, and some still in the wings with added comments - green... (because I'm sure you're just that bored right now and need more entertainment from me!)

1. have a garage sale at our house - this will require purging of every room in the house (purging ongoing, started pricing some books)
2. finish black and white quilt (in progress)
3. start grad school (if I get in, of course)
4. take and print wheat pictures
5. donate old camera
6. sew a skirt for myself
7. plant a tree
8. grow a big vegetable garden (fill all four beds)
9. can salsa and possibly tomatoes/tomato sauce (found recipes for safe salsa canning)
10. catch up with Brad's basketball book
11. make braided cinnamon bread
12. touch up ceiling paint mistakes and stains (discovered that bleach will work on the water stains)
13. fix kitchen drawer, or persuade Brad to do it for me
14. make a fray blanket with mom
15. write down Christmas memories
16. make something old/ugly/cheap into something nice
17. find a completely new recipe that both of us love
18. organize coat closet
19. plan/run VBS (in progress)
20. visit Sarah and Jamie in Seattle (set dates, ordered Washington guide book from AAA)
21. take Brad to a Wingnuts game
22. get my African violets to bloom (in progress)
23. try seafood
24. plan and go on a Kansas day trip (in progress, sort of. ordered Kansas guide book from AAA)
25. have dinner guests (not family members - ones I will actually clean for)

Comments

  1. I would like to suggest a destination for your day trip, check out http://seneca-ks.com/ You could visit the second largest hand dug well and I know a place you can stay if you wait until after July 1st. Of course we could also head east and take in a Royals game.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That recipe looks awesome! I'm going to have to try it sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We'll be free for dinner almost any night in about 3 weeks... :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will suggest this recipe for seafood. it's amazing and doesn't taste super fishy:

    http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Grilled-Salmon-with-Peanut-Hoisin-Sauce/Detail.aspx

    looks like a fun list

    ReplyDelete
  5. Unfortunately Kelsie, no one in our family really likes seafood. I'm sure it's fantastic for those who like fish ;) Good work Megan, let me know which ones I can help with

    ReplyDelete
  6. We tried the recipe today -- AWESOME. Thanks for posting it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Check out the Kansas Sampler Foundation website (http://kansassampler.org/) as well. I'm always about finding a good food destination and neat things along the way. Now if you only lived in OK, I know some great places down here! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by - please leave a comment to let me know you were here!

Popular posts from this blog

SOL: Caught

Give away!

Lincoln Jesse Kohlman: Birth Story