Worry.

Please don't misunderstand me. I teach in a public school because I believe in public education and what it provides to kids. All kids. Without exception. I go to work every single day knowing that my job is important. I matter. I make a difference. I care deeply about each of these children, and I know that these problems will affect them, as much as we try to avoid that. Please remember that about my post, if nothing else.

Yesterday was rough. I had inservice. It included a faculty meeting. Our district principals met on Wednesday to talk about money. Those of you in public education can probably guess where I'm going with this.

The state of Kansas has no more money. In fact, they have less money than they planned on having. All services are suffering. It's true. Everything the state provides is getting cut in some way, shape, or form. (I know that the state provides many, many services. But the one I do know is education. So that is what this post, for the most part, is about.)

So far, for the most part, the budget cuts in public schools have avoided the classroom. So far. For the most part.

But that's about to change. There will be $150 per student cuts in the next few months. This is in addition to the at least $186 of per student cuts in the past year. Very likely, there will be another round of the same amount by the time the school year is out. In my district, as in probably every district in the state, this will mean people.

This is the information I started my Friday with. Needless to say, I did have an emotional breakdown or two before the day was over.

A 1% sales tax increase will help. It won't make the problems go away. It won't cure education or social services of the budget woes. But it will help. I can afford 1% if it means that so many people will still have jobs tomorrow.

I need to make this clear: this will affect you. Even if you don't attend a public school. Even if your kids don't. Let me repeat: these kids, who will be directly affected by these drastic cuts, are the future. They will be the teachers, the politicians, the businessmen and women, the doctors, the nurses, the electricians, the builders, the workers of the future in our country. Don't you want them to learn today so that they can lead tomorrow?

Brad's school t-shirt this year says "Learners Today Make Leaders Tomorrow." It's so true. Education is the profession that begets all others.

And even if the future doesn't interest you... If more people (social workers, teachers, education support professionals, custodians, etc...) lose their jobs, income tax revenues (and likely property tax, as fewer people will be able to afford to own homes) will decrese, ensuring that the state will have no more revenue to provide the services we enjoy.

It's not just education that's being affected. All public services provided by the state of Kansas are being affected. Roads, social services (foster care, adoption services...)... the list goes on.

So please, if you are a Kansas voter, contact your legislators. Tell them they need to find a way to fix the budget without cutting more and more and more. Tell them you're good with a tiny tax increase. It means education. It means safe homes for kids. It means roads to drive on. It means jobs. It means a better economy. Because our state will need it if we are going to recover soon.

http://www.kslegislature.org/legsrv-legisportal/index.do On the left-hand side of the page, find the House and Senate links. Once you are on the page, you can "find your legislator" by name, city, county, district, or committee number in the gold box on the right-hand side of the page. This will have contact information for your legislators. I've been told it will mean more to them if protests about school funding come from parents and concerned community members, rather than teachers whose pay and jobs are directly affected. I will still do what I can.

http://www.kasb.org/legis/2009/talkingpoints110909.pdf   This webpage explains the budget cuts better than I can.

http://kasb.org/    On this website there is a power point presentation (Powerpoint Presentation Video with Tallman Voiceover ) over the achievement of Kansas schools and how it is connected to school funding. It also shows how Kansas consistently achieves in the top 10 states, according to national measures, yet has less funding than any other top ten state.

If you disagree or have a problem with what I'm saying here, please keep it to yourself. This is an incredibly personal and sensitive issue right now. I am stressed. I am worried. I am unsure how I can face 67 students on Monday like everything is the same as it was on Thursday. But I will, because that it what I do. I teach in a public school because I believe in public education and what it provides to kids. All kids. Without exception. I go to work every single day knowing that my job is important. I matter. I make a difference. I care deeply about each of these children. And I love my job. So thank you for your support.

Comments

  1. If I were still a Kansas voter, I would be all over this. I was furious when some Bethel alum who works in the Kansas budget office spoke in convo and said that increasing taxes was not on the table. Social services -- especially education -- are so important. I'm happy to pay a little more in taxes so that people's lives can be improved. It's absolutely worth the cost and then some.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by - please leave a comment to let me know you were here!

Popular posts from this blog

SOL: Caught

Give away!

Lincoln Jesse Kohlman: Birth Story