27

Today's my birthday. It's also Martin Luther King, Jr. Day and Inauguration Day.

It was also an inservice day. I am worn out and enjoying a quiet evening at home with Jazzy. (Brad has a meeting at church tonight; I left before he got up, and he was gone before I got home. Oh well.)

A few years ago I started the birthday tradition of posting random facts about myself. So...

27 years = 27 random facts

1. This is the first year of my life I haven't gotten extremely excited in the days (or weeks, or months) leading up to my birthday. I don't know if it was because it seems anticlimactic this year or if I'm just maturing or if it's because I'm looking forward to another birthday that's still a couple of months away.


2. I keep my straight pins in a pincushion organized by color. My mom laughed hysterically the first time she saw it. She just got me a magnetic pin holder for my birthday... she says it's so I can pick up any pins I drop easily, but I think it's so she doesn't have to color code them when she comes over to sew.

3. As excited as I am to meet our little guy, I do not want him to come even one day early. I've seen too many preemies lately, and even though they have done well, I know it's a very tough place to be. In fact, I kind of want him to be a little bit late, but that's selfish so that I can have spring break off, then start my paid leave.

4. I wasn't sure if I would really like it, but I love my Kindle Fire. My favorite thing is to check out books from the library.

5. I'm currently reading Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children. I only have a few more days on my loan, so I need to get reading...

6. When blogging, I never know whether to put a description before or after the picture it belongs with.


7. I love having ice cream cake for my birthday every year, even in January. When I was little and we went to Dairy Queen for treats I would always get the miniature ice cream cakes... until I discovered how amazing Blizzards are. Now I just reserve the cake for birthday, except Brad's moved the bar up with cakes from Coldstone and Marble Slab the last two years.

8. I'm not really worried about how Jazzy is going to react to the baby. I honestly think she will do pretty well and be his protector. I hope...

9. Sometimes I miss Brad coaching. But, if there were a year for him to stop, this is it. When we go to games I'm glad he's not coaching because sitting in the bleachers is not a good time these days.

10. I've been trying not to check our baby registry to see if anyone's purchased anything lately, but it's really hard for me. I pretend that I'm checking it to determine whether anything is out of stock or discontinued (which is partially true), but that's not entirely the case.


11. I get a little sad when it's too warm in winter to turn on the fireplace and curl up on the loveseat with an afghan. I love reading in front of the fire.

12. I'm starting to get nervous about taking my library licensing exam next Friday (February 1st). I don't feel like I've studied nearly enough. I have spent quite a bit of treadmill time with my notes, though.

13. Brad got my birthday gift at Cabela's this year. I was a little nervous when he told me where he picked it up, but it's a really nice fleece jacket.

14. I haven't gotten my hair cut since school started. I know that's a really, really long time, and that it's not good to go that long between cuts, but I absolutely hate getting my hair cut. It's awkward, and I never really like the outcome, so I avoid the event at all costs. I think I'd probably better go in soon.

15. I am honestly glad that The Office is ending this season. It's good to quit while you're still ahead. I'm afraid that another season or two would just be dragging things out too long.

16. I'm pretty excited that I will be on maternity leave for most of March Madness. I know I'm not going to be sitting around with nothing to do, but it will be nice to have some basketball on in the background of our new normal.

17. I love houseplants.

18. Christmas is the only holiday or season that I decorate for. Other than that, our house looks the same year-round. I think that's why I get so excited to put up the tree and get out all the nativities and Santas.

19. It's not even track season yet, but I already miss coaching. I definitely wouldn't rather be doing that than spending time with Baby K, but it's something that I would like to do again some day.


20. One of my favorite things from childhood is how my mom used to wrap presents in newsprint and then draw pictures on them. She has done it for Christmas a couple of times in the last few years.

21. I get really excited when we get something good in the mail - meaning something that's not junk or a bill.

22. I know that we're getting close to just having things we use and love, or those that have sentimental value, around the house, after my numerous moments of purging. I still want to find more to send to Goodwill, though. I think I'll always feel that way.

23. All the stuff that the baby needs and/or that is nice to have for the baby kind of feels like clutter to me right now. We don't even have that much stuff, compared to what we could (although we have 2 or 3 showers to go), but sometimes I look around and wonder "why?" I suppose we'll sort through it over time and figure out what to live without...

24. I drink a lot of water in a day. And by "a lot," I mean at least 10-12 8-ounce glasses. So I'm not sure if all my trips to the bathroom really have that much to do with pregnancy...

25. I am one note behind on thank-you writing. I hate that. But it hasn't been enough to motivate me so far. (Brad is several notes behind... I'm pretty sure his are written, just not sent.)

26. I feel like some of these are really lame. I should have started thinking about this a few days ago, instead of doing it all in one evening, after a long day at work.

27. I'm excited that I will get to celebrate my next birthday with the two men in my life! I'm looking forward to this year for so many reasons.

Comments

  1. I'm just commenting on all the pregnancy/baby things here... My birthday last year was anticlimactic too. I'll keep you posted as to the first post-baby birthday. Also, I really appreciate your desire to not have Baby K early. As the mama of one of those preemies you know, it is infuriating and painful for me when women make comments about wanting their babies to come early. I know the end of pregnancy is uncomfortable and people get excited to meet their babies, but a lot happens developmentally in those last few weeks. So thank you for expressing your desire to go as long as your little guy needs. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the fun read!! And Happy Happy Birthday!!!! Can't wait to start seeing pictures of your little man on here too!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday! I know you'll do great on your test. Also, I have that same book to start reading. My sister-in-law loved it and passed it on to me. I'm interested to hear what you think about it.

    Enjoy your week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Trey is almost 2 and i have had my hair cut only once since then. My hair has never been this long in my life. Ben loves it. It's a lot of work... unless I just put it in a pony. I just don't have time to go! I keep calling my hair dresser and telling her that I'm not cheating on her, I just don't know when to go. Maybe after basketball season...

    Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by - please leave a comment to let me know you were here!

Popular posts from this blog

SOL: Caught

Give away!

Lincoln Jesse Kohlman: Birth Story