transitions...
I've spent a lot of time in my new classroom the last few weeks. I'm trying to wrap my head around a new school and new people (granted, I've spent part of my time in this school for the past two years, so it's not totally new) - and around not seeing those I built strong relationships with over the past four years.
Transitions are tough, in any situation. But that's real life. Things change, whether you're the decision-maker or not. (I do like to chalk up my reluctance to face this transition to the fact that I was not the decision-maker, but I'm going to have to get over that sooner or later.)
We box up our things and sneak out the back door, thinking that if we don't have one final "goodbye" moment, things won't really change that much.
And we say we'll stay in touch, get together, talk, text, e-mail. Yet, in the midst of that very conversation, deep down we know that it probably won't really happen. Neither of us will really close the door, so to speak, or forget to talk, or neglect a reply to that text message on purpose. But it will happen. Life will get busy. Others will fill in our hours and days.
And, as much as I'd like to say it isn't, and as much as it makes the lump in my throat swell, that's okay. Life moves forward, and there are other places where I once belonged that I no longer feel as connected to. Someday, I will feel the same about the school where I started my teaching career.
I wrote a post in October of 2009. These words are a good reminder.
I broke... no, stretched... my ties to this place {Bethel}. Those connections I felt are weaker now.
So, I will attempt to take this new transition in stride. I will cling to the friendships that will last, and I will let go of those that come to a natural end. I will search for a sense of belonging wherever I am. I will embrace new relationships, ever thankful for those I have who will always be part of me - whether left in my past or a part of my present.
"The only way to make sense out of change is to plunge into it, move with it, and join the dance." -Alan Watts
I will plunge into this new phase of my life, try to move with it, join the dance. Some days this will be hard. I have to acknowledge that and even embrace the difficult along with the easy.
Transitions are tough, in any situation. But that's real life. Things change, whether you're the decision-maker or not. (I do like to chalk up my reluctance to face this transition to the fact that I was not the decision-maker, but I'm going to have to get over that sooner or later.)
We box up our things and sneak out the back door, thinking that if we don't have one final "goodbye" moment, things won't really change that much.
And we say we'll stay in touch, get together, talk, text, e-mail. Yet, in the midst of that very conversation, deep down we know that it probably won't really happen. Neither of us will really close the door, so to speak, or forget to talk, or neglect a reply to that text message on purpose. But it will happen. Life will get busy. Others will fill in our hours and days.
And, as much as I'd like to say it isn't, and as much as it makes the lump in my throat swell, that's okay. Life moves forward, and there are other places where I once belonged that I no longer feel as connected to. Someday, I will feel the same about the school where I started my teaching career.
I wrote a post in October of 2009. These words are a good reminder.
I broke... no, stretched... my ties to this place {Bethel}. Those connections I felt are weaker now.
Belonging
is a funny thing. It changes, you know... obviously, or I wouldn't be
posting this. Different places are for different times, different
chapters, journeys, (insert another cliche of your choice here). Where
you are matters, kind of like what you do matters. Almost as much as who
you are matters - because even that develops as we move from place to
place and grow. And my realizations this weekend make me so much more
grateful for the places I do belong right now. And especially for the
one physical place where I always and forever will.
So, I will attempt to take this new transition in stride. I will cling to the friendships that will last, and I will let go of those that come to a natural end. I will search for a sense of belonging wherever I am. I will embrace new relationships, ever thankful for those I have who will always be part of me - whether left in my past or a part of my present.
"The only way to make sense out of change is to plunge into it, move with it, and join the dance." -Alan Watts
I will plunge into this new phase of my life, try to move with it, join the dance. Some days this will be hard. I have to acknowledge that and even embrace the difficult along with the easy.
The only problem is, I'm a terrible dancer.
Practice makes perfect. :)
ReplyDeleteAnd I completely argree with you! I just hate that about leaving places and moving on to new things/places/people. You acclimate, create ties, and you think that you're going to be connected forever. But it turns out that is only the case for such a small percentile. So many fantastic people come and go. Wouldn't it be great if we could keep in touch with them all? I'm getting better at accepting that, but sometimes it doesn't seem fair.