Thankful... Saturday
Wouldn't you know it, the day after I post about my thankfulness for Lincoln's good health the kid breaks out in Fifth Disease? Of course. And wouldn't you know it, the virus is supposed to have a few "flu-like" symptoms before the rash (so you don't send your kid to daycare to potentially infect 6 other kids and take him to two Thanksgiving dinners), but he sure didn't have any of those. (But no one else at daycare has come down with this virus, so I'm not going to nominate myself for the ever-so-sarcastic "mom of the year award." Yet.)
Anyway, to the point.
I am thankful for my job.
I'm not just thankful to have a job, although that in and of itself is definitely something to be thankful for.
I'm thankful for my job as library media specialist at Augusta High School. I love it, more than I can express.
The thing is, I loved teaching. I really did. I had the perfect first job and never wanted to leave. But, as circumstances became what they became, my feelings changed. In school, they throw out that statistic about how some insanely high percentage of new teachers leave the profession in the first five years. I never thought I'd be that statistic, but friends, I was there. For so many reasons that I won't get into here and now, I grew disillusioned and burned out. I honestly didn't know if I would make it another year in the classroom.
This new job was exactly the right thing at the right time. And so, I'm thankful for my job. I get to work with teachers and students... help people find books they'll enjoy... help with research... teach lessons... buy new books... do fun technology stuff... create contests... brainstorm with teachers and find what they need... interact with kids in a different way... network with amazing people.
Sure, it's not perfect. Life's not. (Thank you, Captain Obvious.) There's been, and continues to be, a huge learning curve. And that's another thing I love about my job. I get most of my favorite parts of teaching plus great new challenges. Most importantly, I get to go to a job I love every morning.
Yes, I am thankful.
Anyway, to the point.
I am thankful for my job.
I'm not just thankful to have a job, although that in and of itself is definitely something to be thankful for.
I'm thankful for my job as library media specialist at Augusta High School. I love it, more than I can express.
The thing is, I loved teaching. I really did. I had the perfect first job and never wanted to leave. But, as circumstances became what they became, my feelings changed. In school, they throw out that statistic about how some insanely high percentage of new teachers leave the profession in the first five years. I never thought I'd be that statistic, but friends, I was there. For so many reasons that I won't get into here and now, I grew disillusioned and burned out. I honestly didn't know if I would make it another year in the classroom.
This new job was exactly the right thing at the right time. And so, I'm thankful for my job. I get to work with teachers and students... help people find books they'll enjoy... help with research... teach lessons... buy new books... do fun technology stuff... create contests... brainstorm with teachers and find what they need... interact with kids in a different way... network with amazing people.
Sure, it's not perfect. Life's not. (Thank you, Captain Obvious.) There's been, and continues to be, a huge learning curve. And that's another thing I love about my job. I get most of my favorite parts of teaching plus great new challenges. Most importantly, I get to go to a job I love every morning.
Yes, I am thankful.
Having a job you love is such a blessing! I love mine too, and it makes such a big difference in quality of life. Not that many people can say they look forward to going to work in the morning. Of course, there are days when I want to just stay in bed, but it's more because my bed is so comfy and I want to wear sweatpants all day, not because I mind being at work.
ReplyDeleteThe 1 year-old I babysit for just had hand, foot, and mouth disease about 2 weeks ago. The daycare had to send her home because they noticed it before her parents. I was just talking with her mom about how some people can be so critical of others with illness if they don't quarantine themselves or their kids at home when they're "contagious". We're not illness mind readers, and sometimes we don't have healthy nannies or caregivers who can take care of ourselves or our children when we're sick. You can still be nominated for "mom of the year" even though you don't possess the magical power to see your child's invisible symptoms. :)
ReplyDelete