Name Game

Well, I have to say I knew it would only be a matter of time before Allison asked about the name. And I'm glad she did.

Yes, "Baby K" has a name. He actually has a number of them right now, from various people/groups of people: Jolis, Theodore, Baby Angus...

And, he does have a real name that will go on the birth certificate and social security card when he's born. We've decided not to share until he's here, for several reasons.

1. It will be fun to have some kind of surprise to announce (other than "he's here!").
2. I've heard people are less likely to be negative about the name once the baby's officially here. I'm not really worried that people won't like it, though. (Although I'm pretty sure I know what my dad's first comment will be.)
3. By now, it's become kind of fun. :) There are some people who really, really want to know and try very hard to get us to tell them... which makes it even more fun to keep the secret. I realize this makes me sound just a little bit sadistic. But seriously. Is it really that big of a deal if you have to wait another 14 weeks (give or take) to know?

We decided on our "boy name" before we actually knew it was a boy. Brad suggested it long ago (maybe even before we knew I was pregnant?), but it took me a little while to warm up to it. The deciding factor was finding a middle name that met my criteria and worked with this first name - then I was sold. Crazy enough, considering that between the two of us we've had at least 500 students go through our classrooms in the short time we've been teaching, neither of us has ever had a student with this name. That fact also helped win me over.

We've been calling him by his name since we found out the gender... but only at home with each other. Brad's come close to slipping up once or twice (I won't say when/to whom), but he caught himself just in time. At this point, it would probably be safe to share because I honestly can't imagine calling this little guy anything else; it's his name now and won't change. But the surprise will be fun. And the apparent torture this secret causes is also enjoyable.

I'll post more about the name and its significance and meaning when Baby K is here and you all actually get to know it.

If we needed a girl name, things would have been quite a bit more difficult. (And, Allison, you are definitely at the top of my list for if/when I do need advice! I do want to hear about Ezra's name - especially the two middles - when you have a chance to post.)

Comments

  1. Yay, thanks for responding to my question! I do plan to post about Ezra's name - maybe I'll do that next. Now you have me wondering if Baby K will have a basketball or KU-inspired name since Brad suggested it and it's apparently not that common. I guess I'll find out! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know you and secrets, Megan. Even if you don't like them kept from you, I see you can at least keep them. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by - please leave a comment to let me know you were here!

Popular posts from this blog

SOL: Caught

Give away!

Lincoln Jesse Kohlman: Birth Story